Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Greatest Journey

So literally less than a week after M left, I had a really bad day at work. I was on the ambulance and got a call to take this elderly woman home. Her home was outside our city and we got printed directions online, confirmed the directions with her family and then proceeded to drive her "home." I repeat the family CONFIRMED the directions. The daughter and granddaughter decided to follow us in a car right behind and we took the confirmation of route and the fact that they followed us the entire way (with a cell phone in the car) to mean that our directions were correct.

Well, the directions were not correct. Did the family try to wave us down? Flash their lights? Call us on the cell phone? Call our dispatch center on their cell phone? NO. They followed us, twenty miles, the wrong way to the same address in another town name, which was the town they agreed to and we were told to go.

We apologized profusely and they led us to the new address. Did they take any of the blame for confirming the wrong directions that I asked them if were correct? NO. Instead they got on the ill-used cell phone and called up every drunk relative they had to be at the house when we got there. When we got to the house, they verbally abused us, jumped into our ambulance, threated us and called us names and accused us of being "racist," which was of course why I had driven their grandmother/mother/aunt all over the county. There were weapons and there was alcohol and there were threats.

We, as calmly as possible, carried the woman into the house and deposited her into bed. We drove home and I was majorly depressed not only because of the fear for our well-being and accusations and stress of being on such a long (wrong) trip in the first place, but because of my personal situation more. I was thinking about how I was continuously unhappy with or without people being nasty to me.

I decided to do something drastic. It had only been a week since I had seen M, we hadn't even discussed his address yet, only a phone number. I knew that if I told him I was coming he would tell me no. I went directly home, used www.whitepages.com to "reverse look-up" his new address and then yahoo mapped out my route. It turns out I was 725 miles, door-to-door from M.

I was going to Canada.

3 comments:

  1. When I lived in FL and M moved near DC, I also freaked out and made an impromptu trip to see him - and he'd only been gone a week too! At that time, a week felt like FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! double wow....i have waited forever for another installment!!!! i was beginning to think i'd never hear anymore lool!!

    man what a horror story about the drunk relatives and weapons.

    ok...waiting for you to arrive in canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janaz--LOL sorry :( It took me forever to get a little inspiration. Feels weird to write about. Started crying remembering some of the stuff.

    GoriWife--It did seem like forever! I was surprised it had only been a week. . .I was in a HAZE.

    ReplyDelete