Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Blessing

As soon as the words were out of M's mouth, Z jumped into high gear. He needed the number to the mosque that we had contacted (the only one that agreed to perform the nikkah (wedding)) and he took it upon himself to start trying to round up witnesses. I tried to slow things down because I was convinced that M didn't mean it and that if we went too quickly I'd end up with a runner at the proverbial altar. . . Well, there was no altar, but you get what I mean.

Z made the calls and on two hours notice, we had a three o'clock appointment at the mosque. The Imam himself answered the phone and set up the appointment. We went back to M's apartment, he said he had things to do before we went, and I needed to change clothes. I decided to wear a pretty salwar kameez that M had brought me back from Pakistan and I decided the shirt M would wear. But as I turned around I saw that M had gotten Z to give him a phone card and he disappeared into the bedroom. It was after midnight Karachi time and M looked very serious. He took the phone and the phone card and I heard very stern Hindko coming from the bedroom. I walked in, worried. M had started to cry.

He had called his mother to tell her what was happening and to his surprise, and mine too, she started to cry. She was not crying as if he was betraying her by marrying 'gori,' which she still called me, but because, she told him, she wished she could be there with him to see it happen. After everything they had done to fight the marriage, he got his mother's blessing.

12 comments:

  1. Aww... so sweet =)

    I wish she could have accepted you before all the big drama...
    but this really shows how
    'Love conquers everything'

    So you finally got married to him??
    Or are there some more twists coming up??

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww..im so happy at the way this post ends! M has agreed to marry you, and his mother wants to be at the wedding.

    I've read your entire blog and am always eager for another post. I check back very frequently. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i didnt expect that ending, the blessing.

    im so happy for you even though i know how it all turns out...i am reliving the story with you.

    im just happy that im in a better place to be able to respond.

    thank you for all of your support. i wont ever forget you for doing all you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...thats a shocker.
    cant wait to see whats next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for so many comments! There are twists, but not the kind you expect! Jana, email me what's new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, thats nice. Can't wait to hear the new twists!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is MIL about you guys now, and about Baby S?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things are coming along, I know how to rile baby S up when hubby's on the phone with Pak, so she thinks the baby's very, very excited to talk with her. She eats it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! I'm highly interested... I'm American and my best friend is Pakistani - I've grown up in the Middle East so i know how insane all of this can be! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story! I am looking forward to the rest! I am American, and my best friend is Pakistani and I've grown up in the Middle East - so I know how complicated all this can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your story! I am looking forward to the rest! I am American, and my best friend is Pakistani and I've grown up in the Middle East - so I know how complicated all this can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Anybody's home?
    Just to inform you that somebody is waiting for your new post!

    ReplyDelete